7.15.2008

A Stitch in Time Saves Nine


So this past weekend I decided it was time to learn how to sew. I'd picked up some fabric and a few patterns for cheap at a yard sale so I didn't have much to lose other then my precious leisure time. Friday night I cut out the pattern... who would have thought reading a pattern could be so complicated, but I managed to do it right. It only took about 2 hrs and a couple of calls to my mom (a sewing expert). Saturday I spent time here and there sewing it together. I'd have to say it wasn't too difficult for the average seamstress, but it was difficult for me because it was my real first time sewing anything w/o my mom right by my side. (I even sewed in a zipper!) By the time I got all the parts together and the zipper in I tried it on and what would you know... it was a size too small. (Patterns from 30 yrs have very different sizes) So I let out the inseam and it's an okay snug fit now. I'm still working on it though. I just need to hem the bottom and sleeves and make the belt. The dress on the pattern look somewhat cute, but the dress I managed to sew looks a bit homely. It might never get worn by me, but it was a great learning experience!

1 comment:

  1. Heather, Hang in there. I called My mom about a thousand times the first time I made a dress as well. Try another project, you will get better quickly I promise... sewing is in our blood!

    ReplyDelete