8.28.2008

Rich Chocolate Cake

I made a cake I found in a Martha Stewart magizine. It used espresso in it so I adjusted the recipe and it was absolutely amazing! I'm typically not a huge cake fan, but this it not your typical cake. I thought I'd share the recipe.








For the Cake
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter the bottom of a 9-in pan and line with parchment.
  • Melt 3 T. butter and 6 oz bittersweet chocolate (chopped) in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
  • Beat 6 egg yokes (the eggs should be room temperature. Save the whites.) with 1/2 C sugar until thick and pale (about 3 min). Add 1/4 t. salt and beat for 1 min. Add 1 T. Vanilla extract and the chocolate mixture. Beat for another minute.
  • In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Slowly add 1/2 C. Sugar cont. beating until stiff peaks form.
  • Fold whites into chocolate mixture.
  • Pour batter into prepared pan.
  • Bake until set, 40-45 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a rack. Carefully remove cake from pan (I had to use a knife to scape the sides before I got the cake out).
For the glaze
  • Place 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, 1 1/2 T butter, and 2 t vanilla in a bowl.
  • In a small pot bring 1/3 C heavy cream, 1/3 C sugar, and 1/4 t salt to a boil, stirring. Pour over chocolate mixture. Whisk until smooth. Serve glaze warm with cake.

1 comment: