5.21.2011

Hats Off to Yellowstone

Have you ever had someone show you a slide show of their vacation? Kind of boring, no one wants to hear about it, but you kind of feel obligated to sit through it. That's kind of how I feel about this post. A lot of pictures, and me telling about each hot pot and fumarole that we visited. But don't feel obligated to read my drivel. If you just want to see the awesome pictures that Heather took, go right ahead.  
 
I've been to Yellowstone a few times with my family, but it seems that every time we go, we only see one thing - Old Faithful. I have to say, for all the talk of the grandest of the geysers seems a bit overrated. One of the sites I wanted to see before we left this time was the Grand Prismatic Spring, and it didn't disappoint.
We decided to go to Yellowstone because Heather's parents won a stay at a West Yellowstone lodge courtesy of Columbus Travel. They are preparing to go on a mission and weren't able to fit it into their busy schedule, so they gave us the chance to go. Heather had never been. We also invited along some friends from our old ward, Brandice and Solon. We had a ton of fun with them.
This is where all the pictures come in.
You can just keep scrolling down. I'm not saying anything important.
Home - home on the range. The buffalo were just a few feet from us as they no longer use the range to roam, but instead the middle of the road.
This was our view as we waited for Old Faithful.
Old was as faithful as a Utah snow storm in February, or even May like we have been getting.
This one reminds me of a melted orange creamsicle. MMMMMMM!

I think this is the one picture I took, so don't judge too harshly the overall portfolio with this one included.

The picture below is my favorite one of the lot.   
This picture is my least favorite. I bought this hat probably a year ago at Urban Outfitters for a couple bucks. I didn't wear it too much but I decided to bring it because I didn't want to dirty up my other ones. During the trip, I started to really get attached to it. When we got to the Grand Prismatic Spring, it was super windy. The steam from the spring blew in your face and it felt like I put my head in the dishwasher right after it finished. I kept having to pull my hat down in order to not lose it in the geyser. Well, hold on to your hats, because I didn't. And there was no way of getting it back unless we had a fifteen foot pole, but we didn't. As an Eagle Scout, I was taught to never leave a place worse off than when you came. But in the case of the Grand Prismatic Spring, we didn't.
You can tell Solon and Brandice have only been married for about a year, because they're still holding hands.




This one is called Castle Geyser. Supposedly, when it goes off, it sounds like a locomotive. When we visited, it was set to go off between 1 am and 3 am. We thought about going, but then we realized that we're not loco.
There is no way I would be caught on this trip without a hat. But since it was in a geyser back in Yellowstone, I had no choice and here is the proof in Jackson Hole. I have to take my hat off to Yellowstone and that vacation. Although, it was only a few days, the sites, the company, the memories will never be forgotten.

6 comments:

  1. Those pictures are incredible. You should make them buy them from you for their brochures. I've never been to Yellowstone but it looks pretty awesome. I think I might wait until the snow is gone though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I've always wanted to see Yellowstone. Maybe someday.

    That first picture after you said, "This is where all the pictures come in" is awesome. I don't know why, but I love how the tree goes above the horizon and it looks like it's the only thing in the photo since the sky is washed out. Neato.

    Oh, and the hand holding frequency in our marriage changed when we had our first kid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. those pics were amazing!!! you are a GREAT photographer Heather, and Rob- we need more posts from you- i always look forward to reading them:) what a fun trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! Rob's written word is great as well as looking at Heather's great pics. The hand holding comment is so true... no kids yet. We had a great time with you guys. Good memories. P.S. We miss Molly and her parents so maybe we should get together soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are a beautiful photographer. yellowstone is beautiful. (i went with a friend once when i was at byu-idaho) I would like to go there with my family someday.

    your little molly is so cute. we should get together again and hang out. fun!

    ReplyDelete