10.21.2013

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Two weeks ago, I went to San Antonio to find a job. I felt bad for Heather because I left her with the kids, who had been pretty difficult lately, while I got a quasi-vacation down south in San Antonio. I was able to stay with Mike and Sheryl Jones, who lived just down the street from where I grew up in Mesa. Sheryl was out of town, but Mike was a great host. Mike took Travis, who is another MBA student in my class, and me to Rudy's BBQ and gas station. I had been to the one in Chandler, but this one felt a little more authentic. The smoky smell, the taste of slow-cooked brisket and turkey, and premium unleaded gas. Only in Texas. Mike not only treated us to Texas BBQ, but cooked us several meals, showed us his 3-D printer, and experienced Iron Man 3 on his 3-D TV. We each got our own room and a king-sized bed. It was more than we could have expected and a great place to prepare for our career fair.

At the fair, I met with several companies. I am currently looking for a marketing position in consumer package goods or something in sales operations. The locations ranged from the east coast to the Southwest. I was able to get four interviews (Microsoft, Kimberly Clark, Henkel, and 3M) at the fair and one company (Dish Network) followed up with me after the fair. I had a Skype interview earlier today so, I was happy with 5 good interviews. Heather doesn't see them as companies, but rather locations. Redmand, WA; Neenah, WI; Scottsdale, AZ; St.Paul, MN; and Englewood, CO. I found out earlier this week that Kimberly Clark is out, or in Heather's terms, Neenah, WI. Other than the me locking my keys in the car for a fifteen minute delay in Ozona, TX, the trip was a great success. We are just waiting to see what the future will hold.

4 comments:

  1. If you don't get the job in Scottsdale, be warned that I'll probably invite myself to come visit you wherever you go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you'll love St. Paul. I vote there since I'm most likely to visit there or Scottsdale, but I guess that all depends what crazy locations solon tries to take us to law schools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aggghhh you guys HAVE to stay in AZ!! :) But good luck in this BIG decision!!

    ReplyDelete